Procedure to Obtain a Driver’s License in NJ
There are three important paths through which you can obtain driver’s license in the state of New Jersey. The license requirements in New Jersey slightly depending upon your age. Follow this step by step guide, get your driving license, and enjoy your ride.
STEP- 1 SPECIAL LEARNER’S PERMIT
If you are between the age of 16 and 17, you can apply for a special learner’s permit in New Jersey.
- Visit the local Motor Vehicle Commission in New Jersey.
- Provide the required documents including 2 proof of identification and proof of address.
- Get consent from your parents/guardian.
- Pay the required fees and pass the vision and knowledge test.
- After receiving your special learner’s permit or examination permit, you may begin practicing driving.
- Your permit will be valid for 2 years.
STEP- 2 PROBATIONARY LICENSE
You can apply for a probationary license if you have been driving for at least 6 months (younger than 21 years) and 3 months (elder than 21 years) without suspension.
- Schedule your road test online or in person at the Motor Vehicle Commission in New Jersey.
- Provide all the required documents including the special learner’s permit.
- Complete the application form and pay the required fees.
- Receive the probationary driver’s license that you can exchange for a basic driver’s license after a year.
STEP- 3 BASIC DRIVER’S LICENSE
It is the final step for your driver licensing process in New Jersey.
- After you turn 18 and have held your probationary license for at least a year, you can apply for Basic Driver License.
- Visit a motor vehicle agency with the required documentation.
- Complete the application form at a driver licensing office and pay the required fees.
- Get your Basic Driver License.
So, these are the requirements to obtain an NJ driver’s license. Follow the above-given steps to get behind the wheels of your car quickly and make sure to keep a track of your license status as your license can be suspended if you get too many tickets in New Jersey.