The following steps can be helpful to you in taking the most appropriate decisions once you’ve met with a car accident. It is essential that you follow these steps wisely and take the right decision as per the situation.
Things to do immediately after car accident
- Check on the well being of yourself and the passengers
One of the first and the foremost steps is that you check on the well being or injuries to yourself and after that look out for the well being of the fellow passengers. In case of any injuries call 911 or you can also ask someone else to do so.
- Get yourself and the car at a safe place
If you are in a place to walk then make it a point to take your car at a safe place as it might be causing havoc. If that is not possible, just ensure that you get yourself to safety.
- Call 911
Whether it is a minor accident or a major collision, calling 911 is important.
- Wait for help
Turn off the car’s engine and turn on the hazard lights and make the use of the road flares present in the emergency car kit as a warning for other vehicles to slow down.
- Exchange the necessary information
This is an important step that needs to be taken after the accident. Exchange all the necessary important information with the other driver and that includes:
- Full name and contact information
- Insurance company and policy number
- Driver’s license and license plate number
- Type, color and model of vehicle
- Location of accident
- Document the accident
In order to ensure that things are going as per the legal practices take the following steps:
- Take the name and badge number of all respective offices that arrive at the time of the accident.
- Get a copy of the accident report for the insurer as you will need to file a car insurance claim
- Taking pictures from different angles is an important step while documenting the accident while showing the damage done to both cars. These pictures will also help you support your claim.
- Also, don’t forget to take down the names and addresses of all the people involved in the accident.
- If there were any witnesses to the accident, take down their names and their contact information, as well.
- Notify your insurer about the same & Begin with the claim process
It is important to present a detailed and well-documented accident report to the insurer in order to know what you can expect from the claim process.
Make sure you follow all the steps mentioned above diligently and take the right decision on the spot as this is what makes the entire difference.